By turning on various blog (thanks Frank) and thanks to discussions with Julius , I realized that, in addition to the extreme interest in Adobe AIR , there is also a lot of confusion, and not without reason. Both developers and users continue to not be clear about what it is, what it is for and how it is developed in Adobe AIR . I decided, therefore, to collect the various discussions in this sort of FAQ to try to clear a little 'what actually lurks behind Adobe AIR.
WHAT '- IN SIMPLE WORDS - ADOBE AIR?
We can summarize Adobe AIR in this way:
- It performs all the functions of a normal internet browser, such as Internet Explorer or FireFox, but without the restrictions relating to the safety of the latter! Giving full access to both the machine it is installed on both the environment understood as its own container, and then Window.
APPLICATIONS AIR (FILES WITH EXTENSION. AIR) MUST BE INSTALLED ON THE PC TO BE USED?
Yes it is! Just like you do with a "normal" application. In fact, after installation, the application will appear in the list of installed programs, such as Word esattamento, Skype and other common tasks. Before installing an AIR application, however, you must install the "system" or environment that is able to recognize and process the file. air. You must then install once, Adobe AIR runtime . Since that time we will be able to install and use the AIR application.
Installing an AIR application, as to appearance, differs from the standard ones - we're used to - just because the tools used to perform the installation is different and its content nell'Adobe AIR runtime. But the functions they perform are exactly the same!
I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD A PARTICULAR VERSION OF AIR FOR MY OPERATING SYSTEM?
When you install the first time the environment ( Adobe AIR runtime ) should you choose to download depending on your system: Mac or PC. AIR applications, however, brought about the environment installed, are "unique" work on any operating system that has previously installed Adobe AIR runtime (currently Mac and Windows - Linux and more in the future).
AIR APPLICATIONS ARE READ AND FAST?
The speed is the same thing! In principle, however, any application "native" will inevitably more "rapid" a AIR application! (See below FAQ about development languages).
DEVELOPING ADOBE AIR APPLICATION?
There are several ways to develop an Adobe AIR application, both for purchase and for free. With time it will also be new, very likely.
Those in charge are:
- Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 + extension (Free)
- Adobe Flash CS3 Professional + extension (Free)
- Adobe Flex
The free ones are (there are others as well):
Whatever your choice you will still need:
- Install Adobe AIR runtime
- Install Adobe AIR SDK
- Then, depending on what you chose, you will need to install the extensions on the environment (eg Aptana IDE has its own extension to develop AIR ) with the probable Request for install Java (other runtime ...).
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE FOR DEVELOPING ADOBE AIR?
WHAT CHANGES - SO - IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF AN APPLICATION AIR?
WHY 'SHOULD I WRITE AN APPLICATION FOR ADOBE AIR?
An AIR application makes sense when you take advantage of the extensions provided by AIR itself. If I turn (without any addition) Web application into an AIR application, this is really insignificant. The application Blogbabel rank in AIR that I have written, for example, is perfectly useless as it does not carry out any operation Desktop vital and would work perfectly in a browser - among other things, what I intend to do ! I've obviously written by way of example, but someone has done similar things thinking about who knows what benefits derive ...
Paradoxically, however, that "nonsense" application that simulates shooting on the computer screen ( Adobe AIR: sparariamo the screen ) takes advantage of some special properties of Adobe AIR! property can not be played in a normal browser: type in a fullscreen transparency (window-less/topmost)!
WHAT FEATURES 'NEW ONES IN DEVELOPMENT WITH ADOBE AIR?
There are various and, most likely, over time it will be also added new ones, as they release new updates of theAdobe Adobe AIR runtime. Among the most important features are:
- Read and write files on your computer
- Managing a SQL database that can be used to manipulate local data
- Managing Windows Desktop with a number of interesting features such as transparency, the possibility of iconizzarle in the taskbar or the tray-icon, ability to manipulate the position and size, creating special windows without title or edges.
- Viewing PDF Files
CONTRAINDICATIONS AND sore spots?
First of all, for developers, set up the development environment for Adobe AIR requires quite a few steps articulated! In short, apart from Flex, the rest of the environment must be set properly and that takes time and patience!